Thursday, April 8, 2010

Ethnographic Analysis


I believe my project is missing some secondary research. I would like to get some more information about the area around my site. I would like to learn more about the residents and what Blacksburg is like. I feel most of the college students are shielded from the real residents because we are always on campus. My project has a lot of first hand research from being in Kroger so much and seeing different people.

At first look, you wouldn't think there were many patterns because of how random everything is. You could go in there two days in a row and see completely different things. There are a lot of consistencies with the staff. You always see them dressed in their full uniform, even in the middle of the night, and they are always courteous and professional. As for the customers, I believe there is a pattern along the lines of when people shop there. Usually in the morning, you do not see many students. The main flow of students comes around 3 because everyone is done with classes and most are going to or coming from the empo. Around 5 or so, you see an influx of adults which are getting off of work and coming to get things for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan, you have come to some good conclusions about your site. The patterns of who shops when is a good thing to notice. I also think that finding out about the people that live in Blacksburg might shed more light on the patterns of their shopping at Kroger. They might go earlier since they know there will be few college students there.

    ReplyDelete