I liked the excerpt from Malcolm X's autobiography. I was surprised to see that he taught himself how to read and write better through a dictionary. I mean its not like he had anything else to do but, that just shows us the will he had to learn. Also I was really surprised to see how, due to the fact that he could not read well, did not know about most of the worlds history. All of us take reading for granted but people that can't read really don't know what they're missing.
When he first started reading about slavery, he was appalled at what he read. I think this one action alone helped him become the major figure head that he is today.
Ryan it is great to see you taking advantage of the affordances of blogs. I really like your use of video and image here to go along with your post. DO me a favor though and post about your topic idea for your project.
ReplyDeleteNW
Ryan
ReplyDeleteI think its hilarious that you said he had nothing better to do in jail than copy the dictionary. That is very true. And it goes to show that in some cases imprisonment not only helps society feel comfortable that criminals are off the street, but also helps those incarcerated.
Would Malcolm X have been so influential if he had never been to prison? Something to think about.
Show me how to put pictures up sometime. I feel like an idiot.
Oh yeah ^
ReplyDelete-Marshall